The 2013 BMW Championship will kick off on Tuesday, September 10 when PGA TOUR golfer and defending champion Rory Mcllroy competes in a driving challenge with PGA TOUR golfer Gary Woodland in a BMW i3, the new first purpose built electric vehicle made primarily of carbon fiber.
McIlroy and Woodland will compete on a specially created driving course outside Six Flags Great America to build excitement and raise money for the BMW Championship and Evans Scholars Foundation. If McIlroy or Woodland beats a designated time, BMW will donate a $100,000 scholarship, which covers tuition and housing to an Evans Scholar in their name. Both automobile enthusiasts, McIlroy and Woodland will be two of the first people in the world to drive the i3 since the car’s global reveal on July 29. The i3 will be available in spring 2014. A group press opportunity with Rory McIlroy will take place immediately following the event.
WHEN: Tuesday, September 10, 2013
9:30 a.m. – Media Check-In
10:00 a.m. – Event begins
WHERE: Six Flags Great America
542 N Riverside Dr., Gurnee IL 60031
Please enter at Gate 2, past the employee entrance.
Six Flags Great America is 15 – 20 minutes from Conway Farms Golf Club. The driving course is located in the parking lot near Gate 2. GPS Address: 542 N Riverside Dr., Gurnee, IL 60031
- Take Interstate 94 to Grand Avenue (Rte 132) East in Gurnee.
- Exit Grand Avenue East and continue past the Six Flags Main Entrance to Rte 21/Riverside Drive.
- Turn right on Riverside Drive and continue ? mile to Six Flags Employee Entrance.
- Turn right into the Employee Entrance.
- Gate 1 is straight ahead.
- For Gate 2 continue to the left, passing the main employee entrance.